Powering modern analytics with Power Bi
By Khai Tan, Managing Consultant
Altis recently assisted BAI Communications (BAI) in Australia with the implementation of their new Reporting and Analytics Platform. On the new platform, we delivered their first Power BI dashboard to monitor Digital Television (DTV) service performance at all Broadcast Australia (a BAI communications company) tower sites.
Information is presented using ArcGIS maps for Power BI and users can visually monitor each site’s service status, output power uptime and Modulation Error Ratio (MER) daily averages. Users can also drill down to details of planned, unplanned outages, trends of MER daily averages and field strength tests. The reports can be sliced or searched by postcodes, service class, service name and sites.
This has enabled better internal reporting and enhanced the experience for customers. Following a successful delivery on a very tight deadline, below is our experience and insights from using Power BI with BAI:
- Easy to set up. We used Power BI desktop for developing dashboards. As BAI already had a Power BI subscription, setup was easy and quick.
- Fast performance. Even with 13 reports in one PBIX file, 10 maps, approximately 3000 points on each map, report performance in the Power Bi Portal wasn’t an issue when displaying and exploring information.
- Great for prototyping. We were able to start building the dashboard prototype during design phase of the project that allowed us to visually engage our product owner early in the project. We found that Power BI is changing the way users traditionally interacted with dashboards and prototyping allowed us to onboard early.
- Keeping up to date on latest releases. Microsoft has monthly releases of new Power BI features. It is important to keep abreast of the latest releases as it can significantly improve user experience with your dashboards.
- Gallery of custom visualisations. We found that exploring the custom Power BI visualisations gallery opened up new ways of visualising information, streamlining development to enable faster turnaround times to customers
Other examples of our dashboard solutions can be found here.